Saturday 31 December 2011

2012 here we come!

So 2011 is almost over and 2012 is almost upon us. I am not one for new year's resolutions. However now that I am no longer working, this year I intend to get on top of the garden and to finish decorating the cottage. Otherwise I am just going to see how things go. I am hoping to get back into blogging, but before I do I have to entertain the in laws on January 2. The date of this visit has only been changed twice unlike the last time they came in September 2010. They have not been up here, at this time of year, for seven years. That visit in 2004 was a bit of a disaster. The traffic was awful and the journey took far longer than expected. Husband was in touch with them via mobile phone and kept telling me that they would arrive in 20 minutes. I believed him and left the joint, that was for our lunch, in the oven, thinking that another 20 minutes would do no harm. By the time they arrived it had almost disintegrated. So this time I am keeping it simple and we are having a casserole. If I am organised I'll cook it the day before as the recipe book claims that reheating improves the flavour. That will only leave me the vegetables to prepare on the day, as I shall also prepare the desserts the day before. Let's hope that it is as simple as I have made it sound.

We have had a year that we shall not forget. In the last four months both of our widowed mothers have died. They were both 92 and had had a good innings before ill health took its toll. So 2012 will start a new chapter for us and life will be different.  Our mothers' deaths have made us realise that we won't be here forever and now that they are no longer with us we are free to go travelling to all those long haul and exotic destinations that we have had to put on the back burner over the last few years, in case we got off the plane and had to come straight back because one of the mothers was ill. We have not made any definite plans yet, but it will be something to think about and look forward to over the dark days of winter. As one door closes another one opens!

Happy New Year !

11 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Having lost my Dad (at 86) this year I know how you're feeling. Wishing you and yours a Very Happy & Healthy 2012.

the fly in the web said...

Have a very happy 2012 - may all the changes be for the better...and do that travelling!

Gill - That British Woman said...

Wishing all the best of love, luck and happiness for 2012.

Gill in Canada

Jennyff said...

Happy New Year, lots to look forward to.

Suburbia said...

Happy new year to you too

Maggie May said...

Happy New Year and hoping things will improve greatly in 2012.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Jennytc said...

Hope the coming year will be good for you, CW. :)

imbeingheldhostage said...

Wow, it's hard with one, but two in the same year. I can't even imagine how difficult this year has been for you.
Wishing you a healthy, happy 2012!

Carol said...

Happy New Year hon. I hope 2012 brings you much love, laughter and happiness and I look forward to reading all about it on your blog :-)

C x

mrsnesbitt said...

Here is wishing you health and happiness in 2012. Dxxx

Anonymous said...

A happy new year to you. Hope 2012 is a great year for you. The travelling sounds wonderful.

CJ x