Tuesday 2 September 2008

Designer shopping

On Sunday we went to the Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet with the intention of buying some clothes for my husband. He hates clothes shopping. I am not sure whether it is the spending of money or deciding what to buy that he hates - probably both. But a visit to B&Q or PC World is a different matter - he will happily spend ages in either shop. Also I am not sure where the designer fits into Cheshire Oaks as most of the clothes that they sell are a season or two old or are seconds, but there is plenty of free parking there and it is only about five miles from where we live. Since we moved to Chester, five years ago now, we have only been shopping together in Chester, once. The reason for this is that the car parking in Chester is in short supply and costs an arm and a leg. The alternative is to use the Park & Ride, which for two of us is equally expensive. As I would not trust my husband to shop on his own, I now buy some of his clothes such as shirts, jumpers and trousers, myself. Usually I buy things from Marks and Spencer so they can easily be returned if they are not right. He really does not care, too much, what he wears, but he will not wear anything that he considers as the latest fashion. I suppose that, in some ways, I should be grateful for this. At least he does not look like the male equivalent of mutton dressed as lamb.

The clothes that I cannot buy are suits and shoes, both of which he needs to try on. We/he bought a suit earlier this year. On Sunday we were looking for shirts and shoes. First we went to Marks & Spencer who did not have what we were looking for so we headed for the Clarks shop. When we got there it was only about 20 minutes after the shops opened and the shop was heaving, mainly with children. And there I was, with my big child, looking for a new pair of shoes which we easily found, thank goodness. Then we had to join the queue of about ten people to pay. I had never seen this shop so busy, even I was glad to get out.

10 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

I am glad you had a successful shopping trip. I have passed on an award to you. I am not sure whether you accept them but I wanted to let you know that stopping by your blog is a very nice part of my day. It is very enjoyable, and I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated it. You can pick the award up over at my place if you are willing.

Suburbia said...

Perhaps we have 'clone' husbands!

cheshire wife said...

Denise - thank you very much for the compliment. I would be delighted to accept an award. Although I started this blog in February 2007, I have only been keeping it properly up to date since June this year.

Suburbia - I would hate to think that someone else has a husband like mine.

Akelamalu said...

Your man sounds like mine - DIY fantastic - clothes not so!

Virginia Janet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maggie May said...

Back to school, last minute shoe buying, I expect.
Good old M&S, you cannot beat them really.

Gill - That British Woman said...

love Clarks shoes, they are worth the extra money. Also big fan of Marks and Sparks, was really upset when they closed the stores in Canada. Have to say I only got a couple of things though when we were in Britain in February, its too pricy, we get clothes a lot cheaper in Canada and the States.

Gill in Canada

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I always find shopping trips with my husband quite frustrating so often buy for him, although he does buy for himself. Any major like a suit, we go together!

Glad you enjoyed your trip though.

A x

Working Mum said...

Oh dear, you chose 'Back to School' time to visit Clarks! Even I took daughter at the beginning of August to avoid the mayhem.

Suits we do once a year in Slaters in Manchester. They measure my husband, produce five suits that fit perfectly in our price range and he chooses two. Job done! Only way!

cheshire wife said...

Workin Mum - not very well planned I know. The shoes were to take on holiday which we had booked at relatively short notice. So we did not have much choice really.