Tuesday 27 May 2008

Tiger Tiger, burning bright

The happiest news story, on what turned out to be a dismal bank holiday weekend, was that of Hull City Football Club winning promotion to the Premier League for the first time in their 104 year history. I was particularly pleased by this news as Hull is my home town. As a teenager I spent many Saturday afternoons cheering the Tigers on from the terraces of the old Boothferry Park stadium, with my home knitted black and amber striped scarf wound round my neck. I have not seen the relatively new KC Stadium but it is amazing to think that the likes of Steven Gerard, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney will be playing there next season and that the Tigers themselves will be playing at Anfield, Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge. The neighbours round here all support Manchester United, Liverpool or Everton. So I have supported Chelsea just to be different but now I have my own premier league team to support.

I doubt that Hull has ever seen scenes like those that were witnessed in the city centre yesterday afternoon.

Congratulations Tigers!

No comments: