Thursday 8 November 2007

Black thursday

This evening must have been one of the worst in my life. As I drove home in the dark and wet my ususally silent mobile phone went twice. Wondering why I was suddenly so much in demand I stopped in the library car park to have a look at my phone. My husband had sent me a text message to say that my brother had called him and would be phoning me. (Our house phone is currently not working so my husband has had it redirected to his mobile phone). Then my brother had left a brief message. Thinking that there was a problem with our mother I phoned him back but got his voice mail - I left a message that I would be home in 15 minutes. So 15 minutes later I was on the phone again and this time I got through. I asked him how he was and he said things could be better or something similar. I could hear noises in the background and thought that he must be in a hospital but it turned out that he was at Clapham Junction. Then he went on to tell me the most awful news - his 18 year old son has cancer. As he went into detail my heart pounded in my chest as if it was about to burst. Tomorrow my nephew has a liver biopsy to try to identify the primary tumour. It will be about Tuesday of next week before they know whether or not the cancer is treatable. We have an awfully long weekend ahead of us.

No comments: